Flowers make people happy; we all know this! BUT they aren’t simply just pretty faces to swoon over. It has been found that the presence of blooms in a space has a far greater impact on our brains and mood than aesthetic alone.
When Monet wrote “I must have flowers! Always and always. “ He was really on to something!
There are many instances that these findings apply in every day life that you may not be aware of.
- Receiving a bunch of flowers triggers the pleasure and reward receptors in the brain. This releases feel good hormones associated with emotions of love, appreciation and pleasure. This then lowers levels of stress and anxiety significantly as the individual is feeling loved up and taken care of.
- They help you physically heal: A 2008 study found that hospital patients who had flowers in their room experienced less anxiety and were more positive about prospective operations and recovery as opposed to those who didn’t.
- They lower stress: A 2014 study published in the Journal of Physiological Anthropology showed that office workers exposed to flowers for just 4 minutes displayed a decreased heart rate and significantly lower stress levels than those who weren’t.
- They can help you sleep: The scent of lavender has long been used in the aid of sleep for it’s relaxing qualities. This aroma has been proven to lower your heart rate and blood pressure, soothing the individual into a calmer state. Chamomile has also been widely used with similar properties but more commonly consumed in the form of tea before bed.
- The use of colour is an overwhelming component in how we are feeling. Florals that are bright and colourful will evoke this emotion in a recipient. Blooms that are reds and pinks for the expression of romance, passion and love. And whites and greens for fresh, calming and soothing occasions (such as a sympathy gesture or office spaces)
With world happiness day just a few days away (20th March) so why not brighten someones day with blooms! We can even deliver it straight to their workplace. Give us a call, order online or come and visit us instore to arrange that special something for someone deserves it.